Friday

April's Fools

Now I love a good practical joke as much as anybody…but I also despise a bad one. Today I am breaking down the fourth wall on an early April Fool's Day joke so new, no online source has yet to pick up the story.


The anchors of NBC 5's "Today in Chicago" morning show were buzzing about rumors that Midwest furniture retailer Walter E. Smithe was purchasing naming rights of Wrigley Field for $5 million a year. Just before the show ended, representatives from Smithe came on the air to confirm the rumor and showed an artist's rendering of the renamed stadium's marquee.


Do they really think we're that stupid? Well, since people in my local coffee shop (Caribou, not Starbucks) this morning were already up in arms about the prospect, I guess we are. God, people are such rubes…

No comments: