Tuesday

...

Maybe I'm a day late in my 9/11 retrospective, but shit, our country is only about 4 ½ years late in catching Osama bin Laden…so let's call it a wash.


Anyway, with all of the horrible memories of September 11 still fresh in our minds, I'm stuck on why some insist on perpetuating the lasting sickness of that day. No one is saying we should look back with fondness, but I swear that some elements of society (re: TV entertainews) have been salivating for the opportunity to replay images of the Twin Towers burning, people jumping and the buildings falling. Their sheer smugness is revolting…and it was everywhere yesterday; from Bill O'Reilly to Matt Lauer, every TV talking head was vying to out-douche his peer and show/talk about the most graphic and horrible aspects of the most graphically horrible day in a lifetime.


I wonder if the media's despicable actions yesterday are in response to what viewers really want, or if what we want is in response to what the media tells us. Are we all just masochists…or are well all just sheep?


Rather than celebrate the lives of the thousands who died, we seem obsessed with making ourselves miserable all over again. I don't need any help in recalling those dark feelings, and I resent the media, politicians, anchormen and office chatterboxes who insist on wallowing in their enduring sadness without acknowledging the fear, relief, and – above all – hate that is stronger than ever in American hearts.


And that's what 9/11 is about, isn't it? We're different now: we're afraid and we hate and maybe – if we're lucky – we have a greater appreciation for our loved ones. I don't need to watch a plane hit a building to remind me of those feelings; they've been with me every day for the last five years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of your blog and I usually applaud all the points you make in your posts. But I've never commented until now.

Today's post really hit a nerve with me. I am sickened by the media's treatment of the 5-year anniversary of 9/11/01. Doesn't the press realize that the terrorists are getting their rocks off every time they re-play those horrible events?

Matthew Smith said...

"A big fan of my blog"? Mom, why the anonymous post?

Anonymous said...

I agree. It's disgusting and I hope for the day the media is seen for what it is. They truly do control what the country sees and thinks. The worst offender this year was CNN with its live, as-it-happened coverage of 9/11/01. WHY?!?! Do we really need to relive every second of it? It's important to remember the tragedy of the day but that is just overboard. Maybe we focus on the tragedy of it more than anything else because on Sept. 10th our country was obliviously happy and 5 years later everything has gone to hell. 5 years later we haven't caught Bin Laden and (I think many people would agree) we are losing the global war on terror. There's nothing positive to celebrate. 5 years after Pearl Harbor we had already won World War II and brought all our troops home! Pearl Harbor was a tragedy but alot of people remember it as the beginning of the Nazi and Japanese ass kicking. What ass have we really kicked since 9/11? What war have we won?