Thursday

I wear my sunglasses at night…

…so I can, so I can stick my foot in my mouth.


OK, that's probably not the lyric that Corey Hart had in mind, and it's more of a funny story than true critique of the president, but still…the man wears idiocy amazingly well, don't you think?


Most people have probably already heard about President Bush's calling out of a shades-wearing reporter at a recent press conference. No? Well, here's the transcript:


Bush: Yes, Peter. Are you going to ask that question with shades on?


Los Angeles Times' Peter Wallsten: I can take them off.


Bush: I'm interested in the shade look, seriously.


Wallsten: All right, I'll keep it, then.


Bush: For the viewers, there's no sun.


Wallsten: I guess it depends on your perspective.


Bush: Touché.


The (ahem) joke here is that Wallsten is legally blind due to a genetic defect – the degenerative effect of which can be slowed by avoiding bright lights. To his credit, Bush called Wallsten immediately after discovering his faux pas and the reporter chose not to make a big deal out of one of the president's less deadly and more understandable blunders.


Hey – we've all said some pretty dumb things (some of us on Pennsylvania Avenue more so than others), but if you thought I was going to let this story pas by without comment, well, you don't know me or my sense of humor all that well.


Frankly, I think Dubya is just a big fan of 80s new wave band Timbuk3. Remember their hit that achieved heavy rotation due to its appearance on the great watchable Robin Givens vehicle "Head of the Class"? Bush sings it every day: "I study nuc-u-lar science, I love my classes. I got a crazy teacher who wears dark glasses. Things are going great…and they're only getting better. I'm doing alright, getting good grades, the future's so bright – I got to make fun of disabled reporters for wearing shades."


Seriously, you think that one is on the president's iPod?

No comments: