Thursday

thoughts from an airport

I am enduring a delay at O’Hare, drinking at Chilis and thumbing through this week's Newsweek (blogging from my Treo). I am sick. I am dumbfounded. I am weeping. Openly.

Contrast that with a blog I read today that attributed America's success in Iraq to George Bush, but its failure to our troops. Has there ever been a more reprehensible opinion?

Right now I am reading soldiers' own words, in their own handwriting, on their own stationery, and I know they have a courage I'll never know.

And yet, somehow these letters from the front lines have posthumously reached this privileged (and half drunk) liberal, and I know that I need to do more to ensure that no one has to read more letters like this in the future.

I say that supporting our troops does not mean supporting their mission, but ending it. I say that opposing our president does not embolden the enemy, but weaken their cause.

I say that my tears over an Awesome Blossom pale in comparison to the tears shed over thousands of caskets...and that every additional tear is one too many.

2 comments:

Andy D said...

As the author of the aforementioned article, I thought I would chime in with my two cents.

I have not blamed any losses in Iraq on our soldiers. If I have given that impression, then I need to clean up my writing because that is not my belief. I have said that when the Democrats vote for a withdrawal, they are really voting for surrender.

War is an option that should be used as a last resort. However, you can’t have freedom unless you are willing to go to war. I hope we never have another battle, but I know as long as we are going to remain free, we may very well have to go to war.

I don’t understand how you can support our troops and not support our mission. Am I mistaken when I say that not supporting our mission means you hope we fail? How does that support our troops?

Matthew Smith said...

Andy - yes, you are wrong.

Supporting our troops means caring about their well being. Just because they're willing to selflessly sacrifice themselves for our country doesn't mean we should expect them to do so senselessly.

I support our troops because I am in awe of their courage and patriotism. They are great Americans, and as such, do not deserve to be put in such great peril for no good reason. That's right - no good readon. Their mission is a joke...a joke destined to send too many soldiers home in coffins.

And I'm not laughing.