Monday

A prediction that really blows (no, not Karl Rove’s midterm election forecast)

So the 2006 hurricane season ends this week, and boy was it a doozy. I mean dud.


Seriously, remember those boobs who preyed on our memories of 2005 (the worst year on record, by the way) to offer grim predictions of another destructive storm season? How did that turn out, Roker?


I hate to say I told you so, but – wait a second. That's a lie. No one loves "I told you so" more than me. Sorry for the fib. Anyway, I did my best Nostradamus back in May when I mocked this tidbit of forecasting tom foolery: " There will be up to 16 named storms, the center predicted, which would be significantly less than last year's record 28…Last year, officials predicted 12 to 15 tropical storms."


So what was the *real* final tally for 2006? I'm glad you asked.


The 2006 Atlantic Basin Tropical Season has been a far cry from the record setting season of 2005…There have been 9 named storms which 5 have become hurricanes and only 2 major hurricanes. None of the 2006 hurricanes made landfall in the United States…


So after one of the mildest hurricane seasons on record, where does that leave meteorologists? Maybe they will have learned their lessons and won't fly off the handle with doomsday blizzard forecasts every time a snowflake passes by the Weather Center 3000 this winter.


Maybe…but maybe they'll just hope we won't remember their ineptitude next year – when the National Hurricane Center predicts another apocalypse of biblical proportions. Way to go, douchebags.

No comments: